From:
Russ Poffenberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2005 06:48:54 -0800
Hi Michael,

Do you mean that you are connecting the cable directly between the two
systems with no hub or switch in between? If so, then you need a special
crossover type ethernet cable, a regular cable won't work.

If you do have a hub or switch, then make sure you aren't connecting to an
"uplink" port on the hub/switch.

Russ Poffenberger

At 06:19 AM 1/6/2005, you wrote:
>I am trying to network between 2 computers.
>
>One has a D-Link DFE-30TX NIC card installed
>in PCI slot #1. This is on an Asus P2B board.
>The OS is Win 98SE.
>
>The other computer has onboard nVidia LAN.
>This is an Asus A7N8X-X board. The OS
>is Win XP Pro on one of its harddrives, the
>other harddrive OS in this box is Win 98SE.
>I can switch between harddrives by rebooting.
>
>Both computers report "unconnected cable"
>although there is a brand new cable connecting
>the ethernet ports. In the D-Link diagnostic
>test, the card tests pass for NIC register,
>MII regester and EEPROM. The diagnostic
>reports NO network connection.
>
>I have tried different IRQs. Oddly the AGP
>video card reassigns its IRQ to whatever
>IRQ I choose for the D-Link card.
>
>Also this Win 98SE drive is using FAT16.
>
>My question: am I dealing with a software
>configuration problem or is the brand new
>CAT5e network cable defective or
>incompatible?
>
>Thanks in advance for any suggestions you
>might have.
>
>Michael Eisenstadt

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml