From:
Gerry Alexander <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 May 2001 18:23:18 -0700
On Wed, 23 May 2001 11:16:06 -0500, PCBUILD - Personal Computer Hardware
discussion List wrote:

>  just installed new mobo FIC AD11.This is the second one.
>  The first one had the same problem. I keep getting a
>  check sum error. Everyone has told me it's the battery
>  but it's not. I replaced the battery both times and this
>  did not correct the problem. The bios guard cannot be
>  disabled and I can't change anything in the CMOS or mobo
>  setup because it won't load anything but fail safe defaults.
>  Any ideas? Jeff

Jeff, I recently had problems with a brand new 128k ram module.
The first indication that something was wrong was checksum errors reported
in the BIOS at bootup. That appeared to disappear after a number of boot
attempts, but then the system started crashing when it was left unattended
for any length of time. I wasn't using the machine a lot just at that time
so I can't say if applications were affected, but I have to assume that they
would also have been giving me the blue screen treatment. The errors
reported were usually different each time, and I chased my tail a bit
eliminating such things as a BIOS update (which I recommend anyway)and a fix
which I downloaded to solve a problem with virtual driver files which
sometimes fail to load on a Win98 install. The reported symptom for that
also included crashes with random error reports. But in the end I was led
reluctantly back to my new memory module. Its an easy thing to check if you
can borrow a module from a friend. Just be careful how you handle it.
Goodluck!

Send a cool gift with your E-Card
http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/

                     support at our newest website: