From:
Richard Hallett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 03:04:48 -0500
I reloaded Millennium using the 98 boot disk which put a  Dos driver on the
machine.  I ended with a CDrom and the  hard-drive dropping back in speed to
the lowest on the scale  (My aim with all this was to be able to drive an
ATA100 harddisk fullspeed).

Of course at this point I put in every program that needed putting back
after the long rebuild.

Then I was looking at some tweak files and discovered that in device manager
under disk drives there was another entry level .  In this was a properties
box with a box for DMA.  Suddenly we were turned on  many times faster
according to the test program Dr Hardware.

For that simple tick space I have wasted about forty hours and bought a new
harddrive.

AWWWW!!!!!! the learning curve.  How do they put it??   Experience: the test
first and the lesson after.

Thankyou for your assistance and I hope this may help someone else.

Richard Hallett Maine USA