Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2007 16:19:04 EDT
Hi there... Well I do have NTFS and it does indeed go through 5  phases.
Doesn't matter.  I will do as ya'll said and not do it very  often.  I just knew
it did 5 about a month or so ago and then it suddenly  did 3.  That was my
only concern ---- I just thought something was wrong  with it.  But I do
appreciate all the info.   Harriet
---------------------------------------
original post  (clipped)

<<< Well.. I just changed it Rick, cause I wanted to  see if it did the 5.>>>>

Hi,

i am not sure how you  managed this because, info. at microsoft and other
site say that this will  depend on the file system on your hdd.  in other words w
hether your hard  drive is formatted with NTFS  OR  FAT32.

if NTFS then, chkdsk will go through 3 phases but  if FAT 32 then (possibly)
5 phases.

the following microsoft and  another link has a lot of details in case you
are inclined to know  more

(1) http://tinyurl.com/246q4n  (microsoft KB link) incidentaly  there is a
"download" of a "guide" in this link to perform chkdsk and so you can  simply
download this guide and test)

(2) http://tinyurl.com/2bx398

so.... it will surely be good to know how you accomplished  this!

in the final  analysis  however, as pointed out by Dean  Kukral, it should'nt
really matter because, if there is a problem with your  drive then the test
will not complete itself no matter in how many phases it  checks. i am saying
this with certainty because, otherwise microsoft wouldn't  have devised the
test to be dependent on the file system.

so.... are you  having/ suspecting something amiss???

HTH and good  luck----Venkat

                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>