From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 13:51:44 -0600
At 12:25 PM 06/26/2000 , you wrote:
>I live in a rural area and so, don't get maximum connect speeds with my
>SP( a local and also a free one about 50 miles away).  I have several
>systems and the highest I have connected is 26.4 with a USR 33.6 isa fax
>modem.  I have 2 other systems with 56K PCI modems(not windows modems) that
>will only connect at 24, one modem is  the Actiontec with Lucent chipset,
>and not sure about the other in my laptop.  Port speed is set to max on all
>systems.  I realize I don't have good phone lines, but what stumps me is
>that my son brought over his computer and it connected at 39.7 (or
>therabouts).  He has a USR(3 Comm) 56K fax modem, isa I believe.  My ISP is
>V90 compatible, so I don't know how or why his connects so much higher???
>Anything I can tweak to increased my connect speeds? - or does he just have
>a better modem.   Thanks, Edna Sloan

Your problem is probably related to "line noise" which is caused by older
phone lines and the amount of copper wire between you and your ISP.  Often
complaining constantly to the phone company will get a service tech to check
your lines, possibly clean off any "drop lines" and other issues to reduce the
static on your line.  Typically, complaining that your fax will not work gets
more results than complaining about a modem.   Phone companies are forced
by most states to provide quality fax access vs. quality modem access.

Years ago when I got my first 56k modem, it would not connect at all
above 33.6k.  By complaining loudly, to anyone who would listen at
the phone company and our state Public Utilities commission, I finally go a
service tech to check my line, only to find that it had a drop line and
numerous points where squirrels had eaten away the insulation on the
line.  Once they fixed these problems, suddenly my modem would
connect above 49k regularly with full speed downloads.

Connect speed really has little to do with your actual performance and is
not related except in determining what protocol is used between your
modem and the ISPs modem.   In other words, typically if you connect
below 28.8, odds are you will never get data transfers above 28.8.  The
same applies with 33.6.   You must connect above 33.6 in order to setup
a v.90 connection or that is a rule of thumb.   If you can connect above
33.6 it will setup a dual channel so that your modem can negotiate data
transfers higher than your connect speed.

As far as your Lucent chipset, they are not exactly what I consider top-of-the-
line.  Usually they work the best if your ISP is also using such modems.
The USR ISA modems are preferred as they tend to do a far better job
of dealing with line noise, though the USR external Courier modems do
an even better job, (though they are pricey).

If it were me, I would determine what modem chipset your ISP is using and
match it with your modem and invest in a quality modem if you are dealing
with line noise.  Also, remember that line noise will kill a modem faster
than anything else, since the biggest job a modem does is compensate
for it.  You maybe experiencing the waning life of your modem, as it is
being warn out by compensating for line noise.

       Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html