From:
Judith Prosser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jul 2004 00:28:28 -0400
I am using an HP Pavilion 9870 with 384mb memory,  140gb hd,  Nec dvd +-RW
drive, and  ATI All in wonder Radeon TV Tuner video card.

I am working on recording to hard drive from old vhs tapes I created myself
to later transfer to  DVD .  I am using ATI's included
software.  Everything worked fine for months.  Suddenly my computer started
rebooting whenever I used any of the TV functions.  The error analysis from
MS said it was a bad device driver.

Since it happened when using the TV functions I downloaded and installed
the latest drivers and software from ATI.  Now, the computer no longer
spontaneously reboots but every time I try to transfer a tape, the
recording aborts after various periods of time, reporting that the video
source is protected and cannot be copied.  These are my own tapes and I
certainly did not copy protect them.

ATI suggested reducing the quality of the recording.  I have taken it down
as low as possible and the problem continues.  ATI also suggested it is a
memory problem but if I record direct from the cable tv signal, all goes
well.  I have tried shutting down all the TSR's and still cannot record
from tape without the protection abort.  Anyway, why would one source
require more memory than the other?

Do any of you have any suggestions before I spend money on more memory?