From:
Joe Lore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 15:56:08 -0400
HI,

I suggest you take out the 650 Duron, get a good magnifying glass and
inspect the silicon in the center of the CPU.  If any of the edges have
the slightest chip, gouge, crack, etc., the ship was physically damaged
and will not work.  You may have to clean off the thermal compound first
to get a good visual.  If there is no thermal compound to clean off,
that could be a problem and cause burnout.

I would suggest the same careful examination of the Athlon prior to
installation.

Make sure there is plenty of compound for thermal transfer to the fan.
Make sure even pressure is used when mounting the fan.  Uneven pressure
is what causes
cracks and breakage.

Thanks and have a Great Day!

Joe Lore
==========

Subject: [PCBUILD] New PC Build: ECS MB, 650 Duron, 128MB 168pin SDRAM

Ok, now for my kids system! :)

I am trying a new motherboard brand: an ECS K7S5A Pro Rev 5.0. It has
the option of SDRAM PC133 or DDR. I have 128 MB SDRAM. I was attempting
first with a 650 MHz Duron.

All connections and jumpers have been checked and rechecked, but when I
power up, no display is received whatsoever. No floppy drive seek or
LED. No HD action (by ear or LED). Only the power LED lights up on
front. Reset button does not respond to anything.

I backed up, by pulling power and data connections to all drives and
attempted to see if I can at least get some BIOS to the screen. Nope!
Notta! Zilch!

There are NO LEDs on this MB so I cannot get any clues there. I do not
get any diagnostic beeps either.

My guess at this point is the CPU is dead. I got it free from a
colleague at work and therefore I have no idea of its true state. I have
not seen it in action on any other system.

I am reluctant to put my Athlon 1.2 GHz in there as a test. Would there
be any harm in doing that? Of course, I gotta be careful with the
sink/fan/grease in moving it. I just do not have a ready supply of CPUs
to test with.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml