From:
"John P. Penasack" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Mar 1998 12:42:42 -0500
If, after installation of Windows 98, a hardware conflict results with
non-PnP devices, one possible way of resolving the problem is:
a. "remove" the item in Device Manager
b. run "add hardware" , but select  manual
c. select the device and install
d. do not elect automatic settings
e. reboot

I had a conflict between an Aztec Sound Card and my Canon printer over the
same IRQ. This existed since I installed Win 98 on 1 Feb.  I had one free
IRQ assigned.

I do not understand why 98 chose to change my device allocation in the first
place, don't know why the hardware troubleshooter did not point to the
solution I stumbled on, nor how the whole system of IRQ and DMA assignments
works.  Actually I don't know if I am asking for further problems, because I
opened System Information, Forced Hardware and it now says (in Red) that my
Aztech Sound Galaxy Washington 16 has Forced
Resources of 7 for IRQ and 0,0 for DMA.  Must not be good if it is in red,
but I don't know where to find out how bad the red condition is.

John Penasack