From:
Frank Suszka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Nov 2003 10:26:53 -0800
Ian Porter Wrote:
>W98 system recognised it as a '3DFX Voodoo Banshee' but couldn't tell him
>anything else about it. So I don't know if it's even a 2x AGP.

See comments below:

Can anyone tell me how to find out how much ram this card carries?

This link may answer that question:
http://www.v3info.de/english/html/vbanshee.shtml

>it has 8 identical chips on it.  They're all marked; NEC JAPAN
D4811650GF-A10-9BT  9849K9017.

The chips are for the various functions of the cards graphics rendering I
believe as indicated here: http://www.plasma-online.com/

Due to the length of the link you will have to drill down to the chips
picture. The page has a lot of information that may be relevant to the card.

My problem is that I don't know that he'll be any better off if I do this.

This is a matter of conjecture. What does the client want? Will the card be
compatible and not hog the CPU and crash the system? Most of these cards
were CPU reliant even though they had on board memory that was "supposed to"
lessen the load. As you can see, this card is dated around 1998 per a review
by "Tom's Hardware"http://www20.tomshardware.com/graphic/19980720/index.html
- 3dfx_voodoo_banshee_ or

http://www20.tomshardware.com/graphic/19980720/index-07.html and is a senior
citizen as far as graphics cards go and would not stand up to the punishment
of such modern games as "Doom". This was, if memory serves me correctly, a
combination PCI AGP card. AGP 1. something I think. The card was on the
advent of the cards we have today. It was for the most part one of the top
of the line cards. The links above should answer most of your questions.

If you like, you may check in with Google and try various presentations to
retrieve information on the card including drivers.

Sincerely,

Frank Suszka
netTek Computers