From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 May 2002 11:33:12 -0700
Go into Control Panel ... System .... Device manager tab...double click
Computer. This will bring up your IRQ settings.
Then go back to the devices and check the properties for a particular
device to see if there are any resource conflicts.

I would work backwards. First make sure you are not loading anything in
autoexec.bat or config.sys. Put a REM in front of anything in there.
Then in Device manager remove the CDROM. Shut down. Disconnect it. Boot up
again, and see if things are better.
If things are still bad, remove the sound card the same way. After you
physically remove it, and boot up again ....can you get online OK?

At this point make sure your NIC and DSL are working OK. Clean up the
system files from unwanted entries, Clean out the temp directory, and check
over the hard drive for old temp files etc, run scan disk, defrag,
regclean, then reboot and do it again. When things are running smooth again
reinstall the sound card using the latest drives, or just Windows native
drivers if they work OK.
If that goes well add the CD ROM back. Note>>> You should not need to
install any drivers. Windows will handle the CDROM when it sees the it.

Rode
The NOSPIN Group

>I'm working on a Pentuim II with Windows 98 1st edition. The people
>installed a CDROM 52X then started to have problems. The video will only go
>to 16 colours and you can't change it from 640x480.
>The other thing that is happening that you have to reboot to get on the
>internet. They have an 10/!00M  ethernet card connected to DSL. They had
>also lost their sound card but fixed this by going into Microsoft and
>fixing the system.ini file with the line "drivers=mmsystem.dll.
>They are running Directx 8.0
>
>Can anyone help me? Is there conflict in IRQ and how can one tell?
>
>Harvey Rose

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com