From:
Carroll Grigsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 23:44:59 -0400
On Thursday 10 October 2002 09:48 am, Brett Getz wrote:
> Hey guys I have been reading  the posts about Linux to run on slower
> machines.  I am really interested in getting Linux on my desktop PC.  What
> is all need to get up and running with Linux? Also is it really difficult
> to set up the hardware or does Linux do that for you I am really new at
> this so any help would be useful.  Thanks Brett Getz

Brett:
The term "desktop PC" is a bit on the vague side, but let me give it a try:

1. Linux can run on anything from a 386 on up. However, unless you're a
certified propeller-head, or you have an unusual amount of patience, you'll
need a Pentium II or better to run any of the mainstream Linux distributions
as a desktop.

2. As for RAM, more's better. Linux uses all of the RAM that it can find.
While it is possible to get a GUI running with 32 mb, it will take some
tweaking; 64 mb is the minimum recommended by most distributions. Text-based
systems usually require 16 mb, but I've heard of people using less.

3. You'll have to repartition your disk to find 1 to 2 gb of HD space for
Linux (again, more's better). Partition Magic or Ranish Partition Manager are
good tools for doing that. Let the Linux install take care of its space. (The
install programs of some/most/all Linux distributions may be able to modify
your windows partitions. It's been a long time since I heard of any problems
with them, but I'll stick with what has worked for me. ymmv.)

4. Two years ago, Linux hardware compatibility and recognition was a big
hassle. While it's far less of an issue than it was then, we're not entirely
out of the woods. In particular, a lot of newbies have problems with
winmodems. Check out linmodems.org and www.idir.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html.

5. While it is possible to download most Linux distributions for free, my
recommendation to any newbie is that they buy a boxed set on the first
go-around. Not only are there less hassles (these are huge downloads --
sometimes two or three CD's), but you get printed manuals and some free
support, both of which can be _very_ useful if something goes wrong. IMHO,
$30 well spent.

6. Shameless Linux Plug: Be aware that Linux distributions include far more
software than just the OS. Typically, you'll get openoffice.org, several
other wordprocessors and spreadsheets, a handful of browsers, some
mailreaders, firewalls, graphics programs, servers, and loads of other stuff.
Not bad for $30. Oh yeah, you can install it on as many PC's as you wish. No
defrag, though (it isn't necessary). There's usually a virus detector, too,
but that's for checking windows mail if you decide to install a mail server.

Regards,
Carroll Grigsby

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com