From:
Peter Shkabara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Nov 2003 11:27:59 -0800
I finally got my system to do what I wanted. Thank you to all that sent
suggestions on how to disable my network connection. The problem I had was
that I could not disable the network card by doing the "right-click disable"
sequence. The "disable" option was grayed out and I could not turn it off.
It turned out that some Microsoft router software that I had installed as
part of my DSL configuration was grabbing the interface and disallowed the
disable feature. Removing that software fixed my situation and I can now
turn off the interface as I had wanted to do.

A second item I ran into was a problem caused by ZoneAlarm. In my quest, I
had installed ZoneAlarm and tried using it to disable the network
connection. That worked ok, but it also ended up disabling my telnet and ftp
connections even when ZoneAlarm was not enabled. After some searching, I
found that indeed my problem was due to ZoneAlarm, so I uninstalled the
program and all is now working as it should.

Again, thanks to all that responded to my query.

Peter
The NoSpin Group