From:
Thomas Harold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2006 09:46:30 -0400
Thomas Mayer wrote:
> Dean
>
> ESD can vary between 200 volts and 2,000 volts. If the computer case is
> not grounded, there is a risk that the charge could reach some internal
> electronic computer components before dissipating into the atmosphere.
> And, once the power supply itself is turned off, there is no electricity
> reaching the internals, but the remaining connection to a grounded
> outlet provides a ground for the case. Of course working in the power
> supply itself is an exception.

There are even specially designed computer cords (usually colored in a
primary color) that only connect the ground plug to the AC outlet.

http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?productID=5338
http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?productID=5339

The main reason I recommend users unplug is that not all power-supplies
have a disconnect switch on the back of the PSU.  Also, not all ATX
motherboards include a "power LED" that shows whether the motherboard is
still receiving power from the PSU.

(Different approaches and different valuations of risks.  I had one user
swapping memory on a live ATX system because they didn't understand that
just because a unit is powered off doesn't mean there's still juice on
the motherboard.  Fortunately, it did no damage.  But the system was in
a very confused state and would not power back on until I cut the power
by pulling the plug for 30 sec.)

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com