From:
Justin Marzello <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Apr 2003 00:20:45 -0600
Well, I'm not sure about the AMD burning easy. I know they do run hot. I'm a
100% AMD guy and currently running a 1.4 T-Bird at 1.8GHz 166 FSB @ 57
degrees C. AMD burn out at about 70C. I doubt it's a virus in the bios,
doesn't seem likely. I would triple check the video card is in the AGP/PCI
slot tightly (can't count the number of times I didn't have the AGP all the
way in the slot). Also give the CPU a nice wiff, does it smell burnt now?
I've had your friend's problem before and it could be so many diffrent
things. Before giving up try booting the system bareboned (only 1 ram stick,
MB, CPU, and video card). If your friend is using his only case with the new
mb/cpu make sure the power supply is big enough.
Possible Problems:
1.) Video card not setted properly
2.) Not enough watts from power supply (wouldn't boot at all, no fans)
3.) Bad RAM (normally beeps on boot, but never know with ram)
4.) CPU fryed (Preocessor's don't fry easy, even without thermal paste the
system sould of shut down at 60-70 degrees c to provent this, but it does
happen)

AMDs are cheap, you can pick one up off newegg.com for about $40 for a AMD
XP 1700+ 1.2GHz.

-Justin Marzello