From:
Barry Keith Tyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Oct 2002 05:06:56 -0500
On Thu, 10 Oct 2002 13:06:03 -0400, Paul Hachmeyer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I added a second cd-rom drive to my daughter's pc last night
>so she could listen to music while playing games, etc. with
>the original cd drive (different brand and model).
>The second cd drive plays with clear sound, but the original
>cd drive now sounds fuzzy.  I tried a different cable to the
>sound card, checked for pinched wires, no change.  Sound
>card has 4 connection points - aux1, aux2, and 2 cd
>connections with different shaped connectors.  Aux 1 and 2
>provided no sound, I plugged the 2nd drive into the unused
>cd connection.
>The machine has 2 hard drives on primary cable as master and
>slave, cd drives are on secondary cable, also as master
>(original) and slave (new drive).  Running win98se.  I did
>swap the secondary cable since I needed more length between
>the 2 cd drives than the original cable had.  I did not yet
>try a different cable.
>Any ideas how to clean up the sound?
>
>            Do you want to signoff PCBUILD or just change to
>                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
>                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml

Try removing the audio leads from both CD's, you should still be able to
play audio disks as the sound will be sent via the digital route and should
be OK. My own setup has one analogue and one digital connector on the card,
but most cards have two different analoge connectors and it rarely works to
connect as you have done unless both drives have identical outputs.

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com