From:
joseph marty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 2004 06:48:57 -0400
It is much easier and less time consuming to buy one for $25-$30.  I don't have any friends who mess with computers with cards laying around for me to use so I'd have to chase one down if I could, and remove it myself.  I dropped the thing from the height of about 5 inches, and given the nature of the contacts I don't think I did any damage to them.  My reason for thinking the card could have been fried is that it could if there were any electrostatic energy in the frame from me grounding myself on it.  They tell you never to hold PCI cards by the contacts or to touch the circuit boards because of ESD.  As good a theory as I can think of for an immediate and otherwise unexplainable failure.

>Dropping a card onto a metal frame should not cause a failure unless the
>card had power to it. This does not mean that there might not have been
>mechanical damage done, such as a bent pin someplace. Why not just
>temporarily borrow any video card from another computer to verify or reject
>this conjecture?
>
>Peter

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.