From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 02:21:52 -0600
From: Max Timchenko :Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] Printer for large format color
and banners

> Hello Don,
>
> Friday, December 17, 1999, 2:31:54 PM, you wrote:
>
> DR> I do volunteer tech work for a smaller library.  They are interested
in acquiring a
> DR> new printer capable of doing color posters, and hopefully banners.
>
> DR> Most of the printers I have looked at have a maximum sheet size of
8-1/2 x 14
> DR> inches.  Any pointers toward larger format printers will be
appreciated.

> Many "standard" inkjets can print up to 210X420, this can do for a
> small banner... Some A4 format inkjets can also do banners, that is,
> 210x(tall). This should suit a small library...
>
> However, I recall working with an Epson Stylus Colour 1520 (? not sure
> about the model no.) in my school, it is an A3-wide printer (420x297)
> and can also do banners, all with 720 dpi resolution (Epson probably
> has a better model by now). This, or an equivalent model, should fit
> the bill.
>
> And keep in mind that even on A4-page printer (210x330) you can print
> the image on many pages (most good graphics editors won't complain),
> cut the margins (1 cm from top/bottom, 3mm sides typical)and glue 'em
> up... A low-cost, low-tech approach. Works like magic for me :)
>
> +=-.
> | Max Timchenko [MaxVT]

I have both an Epson Photo 700 and the Epson 1520.  The Epson 1520 is around
$400.00 at Buy.com and is still available.  The upgrade for the 1520 is the
Epson 3000 which is around $1.045.00.  The Epson 1520 offers 3 different
paper feeds, regular individual paper feed, roll paper feed with an optional
adapter and tractor feed.  With the optional optional adapter for roll paper
it prints on A2 size roll banner paper.  It has 2 cartridges, one for black
ink and one for 3 color ink cartridges.  The 1520 and the 300 can also be
hooked up through the USB port with an optional Epson USB adapter and
printer drivers.  the Espon 3000 offers individual color cartridges for each
color so you only replace a color when the cartridge is empty.  The 3000
also comes with Adobe postscript capabilities plus it will print full bleed.
I have been very pleased with both of my Epson printers.  If you are looking
for a real bargain I was able to purchase my 1520 refurbished with a factory
warranty for less then half of the new price through online auctions.

Mary Wolden

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html