From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 1999 11:32:59 -0400
Carole
I agree with the other contributors that Windows should be reloaded.
The good news is you only have to erase the c:\windows directory and its
subdirectories, and if you saved any important documents in there,
like an outlook mailbox, you can move it first.
After you load windows, let's hope the floppy works.  Then you can save your
files and clean the whole system up, and reinstall windows again.  Your
windows applications will not work after a windows directory cleanup anyway,
so you might as well take the opportunity to clean out the whole pc.
I'm encouraged this will work due to your mention of anti-virus software, which
may in fact have modified some DLL's.  All your earlier references to missing
DLL's were confusing, since a diskette drive doesn't need a driver to work.
if you can't get the diskette drive to work, someone can rescue your files
by installing your hard disk temporarily as a slave into a pc whose diskette
drive does work.  Then you could proceed with the complete cleanup.
Tom Turak

----------
We were told by a computer service man that our problem is probably a
missing DLL. He told us we should do a complete harddrive cleanout and
reload the windows program. This is all very well but we also have
sidekick95 loaded and he doesn't know whether he can save a cardfile that is
in sidekick. We have changed the floppy drive, no result. He went to Dos and
copied a file. We cannot write to the A drive, we can copy a file from one
folder to another in C drive. As far as we can recall we were installing Dr
Solomon's antivirus program when this all started, we have since taken the
program off. The only new hardware is a new floppy drive about a week ago to
try and clear our problem to no avail. We were advised to do a refresher
reinstall of windows, but got no reply when we asked if this was a special
kind of reinstall or was it just a download of the windows on top of our
present program, we have the windows 98 CD-Rom. We do appreciate all your
help but as novices we sometimes are not too sure what some words mean in
the computer world,    Carole Long

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html