From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Jan 2003 23:11:48 -0800
On 2 Jan 2003, at 15:58, A&C Thompson wrote:

> 1. I have a cable connection using a Terapro modem, which is rented. If I
> purchase a firewall, what other cables/components will I need, and what
> does the installation involve? Will I still require the Terapro?

  Most hardware firewalls behave as routers.  So the most typical
configuration would be to have your "public" address, assigned by the cable
provider, on the "outside" interface of the firewall, and assign the
"inside" interface a "private" address that is part of a range also used on
both your machines.  That "inside" interface, and the two machines, all
connect to a small hub or switch (which *may* be built into the firewall).

> 2. If I successfully install a firewall, can I get rid of Zone Alarm
> altogether, and if so, how am I protected from hackers?

  You *could*, but I wouldn't.

(a) Although the firewall probably can be configured to limit outbound
traffic, it won't do as good a job of telling you when some
spyware/virus/whatever tries to get out as ZA can.

(b) The firewall won't protect your machines from each other.

> 3. Are there specific brands one should consider, or are they all pretty
> much alike? What's a good ballpark dollar figure, and should I consider
> any specific supplier? I'm in Canada and my cable company offers the
> following:
>
> All prices in Canadian $
> SOHO router/firewall 4 port switch$ 119.95
> SOHO router/firewall 4 port switch & print server$ 169.95
> SOHO router/firewall 7 port switch$ 229.95
>
> Does this look fair? How do I determine which one I need? Thanks in
> advance for your time and advice.

  The four-port switch will more than adequately serve.  The print server
could be an interesting option IF you have a printer that you'd like to
share as well -- otherwise, I wouldn't bother.

David Gillett

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml