From:
Jack R Payton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Mar 2001 01:47:38 -0500
On Fri, 30 Mar 2001 18:53:10 -0500 Rod Moss <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
> I am trying to set up a switch box so I can easily swap between
> printer, scanner & MP3 download, these 3 devices all connect to my
> parallel port.
>
> They all work when connected directly, none work through the switch
> box.
>
> My PC is a P200, 64Mb ram running Win 98, 2 hard disks 1 x 330MB
> compressed to about 700MB, and 1 x 3Gb plit into 2 drives.
>
> Any advice greatfully received
>
> Regards
> Rod Moss

Rod:

Joel [separate message] has some good suggestions, eg, adding a second
physical LPT port - we did. Joel didn't mention piggybacking one parallel
device on another, typically a printer piggybacked onto a scanner. We've
run an HP4 laserjet on both a Belkin switchbox and piggybacked onto a
scanner connected to addon LPT port.

We've used various parallel cable switch boxes, from two to four outlets
each. (You're probably using a four-position box.) The only problem was
once when we got a bad box.
Ensure that if one of your devices is plugged directly into the
computer's parallel output connection - it works. If not, the problem is
with the computer, not your switch box. If a device works in that output
connection, and your box is still in warranty, consider returning the
switchbox for a trade.

If not, try a bit of troubleshooting. First (this is about as simple as
ensuring your computer is plugged into the wall, but that happens, too),
ensure you have the cables connected to all the proper connections. Next,
rotate the selector switch left to right & back several times (ten to 20)
- if the box has bad or corroded contacts, this might clean them up and
provide proper connections. Next, disconnect all but one device. Try that
device in each of the outlet connections. If none of these work (and,
you're out of warranty), decide if you're handy with electronics - if
not, find a nearby wastebasket.

If so, disconnect all connections, get out your screwdriver, and, open
the case. Check all wire connections to the input side - that's where the
problem will be, as there's no way you could have coincidental multiple
problems with each of the output connections. If any are loose or bad
solder connections, re-solder them. If nothing is loose - or has an
obviously bad solder connection - you're probably SOL. Sorry.

jack