From:
"Paul A. Shippert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2005 17:02:07 -0500
Thanks Russ--
----- Original Message -----
From: "Russ Poffenberger" <[log in to unmask]>

> Paul,
>
> Another idea that occurred is to try hitting 'F8' just after POST, but
> before booting, and at the menu, selecting to boot with the "last known
> good configuration". This might restore a backup of the registry hive.
>
> Russ Poffenberger
>
>>Hi Paul,
>>
>>Unfortunately, this is pretty serious. That file is not just an OS driver
>>file, it is the registry hive file for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM, and
>>copying it from another machine will be completely wrong, since it stores
>>settings specific for your computer. Unless you have a registry backup,
>>you
>>may be looking at a complete OS re-install.
>>
>>At 04:52 PM 1/4/2005, you wrote:
>>>Greetings list--
>>>
>>>I am about to attempt to repair a Windows XP Home installation
>>>on a HP Pavilion laptop. As is so often the case, HP provides a
>>>recovery disk, but not a Windows disk. (At this point I should
>>>mention that my client has several Pavilions of different ages and
>>>is not at all certain he can locate the correct restore disk for this
>>>laptop.) The message on boot reads that a system file is either
>>>corrupt or missing. The file is C:\Windows\System32\Config\System.

[had to leave most of it so others might know what is going on]

I did try that, however; the same message reappeared.
Thanks, though.

Paul A. Shippert
"and I'm hovering like a fly
waiting for the windshield on the freeway."
Genesis

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml