From:
Dave Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 1999 12:59:08 -0700
On 4 Jun 99, at 6:34, Michael D. Sheridan wrote:

> I am having a bunch of Illegal Operation messages with DLL file endings and
> can only point at a bad motherboard as I have restored the OS several times
> and they continue to happen intermittently.
>
> A few are MFC42.DLL, MFC40.DLL, KERNEL32.DLL, PR32301.DLL, COMCTL32.DLL
> with computer continuing to crash over and over again. There are also
> Netscape.exe Illegal operation messages and blue screens VXD fatal
> exceptions.

  It is, I suppose, *possible* that all of these various system components
could have become corrupted, perhaps due to a problem with a drive controller
or some cache RAM.  But frankly, that doesn't seem very likely.

  A much more probably scenario is that all of these system components are
receiving (and trusting and trying to use) some invalid data value from
somewhere.  Traditionally, a common cause of this sort of thing was a
corrupted or not-quite-correct video display driver.  To test for this, see
if the problems persist when the machine is booted into safe mode, or
configured to use one of the generic VGA/SVGA drivers.

David G

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html