From:
Elizabeth Boston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Jul 2005 10:46:40 -0400
Hi Andrew,

When you install Windows on your computer, the operating system will install
drivers for your hardware if it has them. It is common for a system to be
needing a few things once you have finished installing windows.

From your description, it looks like you are going to need drivers for your
modem, and video card.

First, see if you have a CD for each of those components. They might be
individual disks for each component, or if the video card or modem are built
into the motherboard, you will be looking for a CD that came from the
motherboard manufacturer. If you do, that is great, just use the CDs to
install the components.

If you don't have a CD, you will have to do a little bit of research and
look up the drivers online. Make sure you have taken steps to avoid ESD
(Electro Static Discharge), open up the computer, and take out the modem.
Look carefully at the surface of the modem, and write down the numbers that
you see. I often write down six or seven numbers.

If your video is part of the motherboard, get a flashlight and examine the
surface of the motherboard carefully. Usually the model number of the
motherboard is in big letters near the processor socket, or above or in
between the top rows of expansion slots. Write down this number when you
find it.

If the video is a card, remove it, and look for a model number. This is
usually more clear on a video card than it is on a modem. Again, write down
the numbers that you find before putting the computer back together.

For the motherboard and video card, you can usually go to Google and type in
the model number to find the manufacturers website and locate drivers.
Modems are a bit harder, I usually go to http://www.driverguide.com/ and
search for modem drivers there using the numbers I got off the modem.

Once you have found and installed drivers for your video card, you will be
able to change the color depth and resolution, and you will be able to use
your modem.

Elizabeth Boston