From:
Yui Shin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 1999 22:41:20 -0800
From: Susan Hays <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 1999 6:14 PM
Subject: Want to use mouse with laptop.

> I have a laptop with a touchpad.  However, I bought a Logitech mouse to
use
> instead of the touchpad.  I installed the mouse.  It shows up on my
taskbar,
> but I can't get it to work.  What do I need to do?  Do I need to disable
my
> touchpad before the mouse will work or what?  Sure could use some
directions
> on how I can make the mouse work.  Thanks in advance.

Hi,
   If your laptop is integrated with 2 pointing devices (Trackpoint
and Touchpad) you will have to enter BIOS Setup and enable
your PS/2 mouse. If you have a serial mouse this isn't an issue.

   When you first power up your laptop you should see info
about your BIOS Version, CPU, Ram check etc. unless the
output of this info has been hidden or replaced. Any case,
you might even see the
 Press  "  "  to enter SETUP.
 For laptops I've seen mostly F2, Del, or Ctrl+Alt+S.

   Once inside BIOS try to locate anything pertaining to:
         Point Device, PS/2, Ext. Mouse, etc.
   If you have Phoenix BIOS you might find it under ADVANCED
   as Point Device.
   Anyway you'll see some brief instructions on the bottom
or to the side of the screen related to changing the settings.
   In your case either enable PS/2 support or set to Auto as
required by your choices. Save and exit.

hopefully it'll work from here  -yui shin

> Susan Hays
>
>          The PCBUILD web site always needs good submissions.  If
>           you would like to contribute to the website, send any
>                hardware tech tips or hardware reviews to:

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html