From:
Frank Suszka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 12:05:58 -0800
Ashok Bhiman wrote:
I have an Epson 640 in which thee color cartridge
exhausted. For a month or
so I did not print color but continued to use black
ink. I then refilled all
three color inks using a refill kit. Now I am still
unable to print color. I
have run the cleaning utility at least 10 times!

Harlen Link wrote:
I would suggest not using a refill kit at all.

This is very good advise due to the fact there is a possibility that you
could introduce foreign matter into the capillary tubes and clog the
jets in the print head. In addition to this, the little rubber membrane
that is on the bottom of the cartridge acts in the same respect that a
wax ring does to a toilet. It keeps the device from leaking. In this
case leaking in the cartridge holder. The following link will take you
to Epson's site and to a small article about refilling.
http://support.epson.com/webadvice/wa0128.html

If your color cartridge ran empty, and if you let it stay that way for a
period of time, and refilled it, I would suspect there chunks of dried
ink in the capillary tubes and I suspect that no matter how many times
you do a cleaning from the maintenance program it may not clear up the
problem.

Replacing the head or cleaning it is an option which could be expensive
to say the least.

I recommend to my clients that they cycle their printers on at least
every few days. Especially the Epson printers due to the fact the ink
jets are in the print head and not in the cartridge itself. This is why
they can offer the best resolution in the industry. Never leave your
printer on all the time. Every time the printer boots up, it goes
through a cleaning process that refreshes the ink supply in the
capillary tubes. Yes, it does use ink when it goes through this process
however, it is my opinion that I would rather use a little ink and not
have to go through the expense of sending or taking my printer in for
cleaning or replacement. Call it an insurance policy if you will. Ink
jet printers are not cost effective compared to Laser printers. On the
other hand, the cost of the laser is more than most people can afford.

Sincerely,

Frank Suszka

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org