From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Oct 2006 00:30:41 -0700
On 6 Oct 2006 at 10:16, garytennesen wrote:

> I have an update:  I now have cable internet and DSL internet at my home
> with a wireless router on each.  When cable goes down (and it already has) I
> have everybody go to the system tray and change SSID's from "cable" to
> "DSL."
>
> Here's where I could use some expertise:
>
> we have shared drives and printers on our 6-computer home network -- when 2,
> active internet surfer/users move to the DSL router, their resources are
> unavailable to those of us who haven't switched over yet.
>
> This goes back to my original question ~ is there a way to multi-link both
> services so that they are somewhat redundant and serving one network
> segment?

  Yes, but it's not quite trivial.

  You'll need a crossover cable between one of the LAN ports on Router A and
one on Router B.  But before you connect it, you need to make sure their LAN
configurations are compatible and/but not conflicting.

  Each one needs its own address on the household segment, and its own pool
of DHCP addresses.  For instance, you might make Router A x.x.x.1, serving
up addresses x.x.x.2-x.x.x.127, and Router B x.x.x.254 serving up x.x.x.128-
x.x.x.253.  (If you have printers with their own addresses, modify these
ranges to exclude them, or set them up as reservations.)
  Once you then install the crossover, all of your devices will be on a
single segment, but which gateway they use will depend on who they got their
DHCP info from.

  With slightly fancier routers, you could have each forward traffic to the
other if its Internet connection was down, but your routers probably don't
support that.

David Gillett

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml