Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 2004 17:53:58 -0500
Note: The following is posted for Richard Makkay <[log in to unmask]>.

Dear Cathy,

I had a similar problem and when I replaced the ribbon cable it
solved the problem. You can't see any damage on the old cable or
connectors.  In my area there are computer flea markets about once
a month and you can get replacement cables for a few dollars. You
can also get used floppy drives for one or two dollars. New drives
cost from ten to fifteen dollars.

That's my two cents. I hope it works for you.

Richard Makkay

 > Hi everyone,
 > I have a Pentium II, running Windows 98.  It has a CD player,
 > and a 3.5" floppy. More and more, the floppy drive is not
 > recognized... When I insert a disk nothing happens, and
 > "My Computer" shows no floppy drive. I have taken it apart
 > and checked all the cables etc, and everything looks
 > fine to my untrained eye.  Several reboots will sometimes get
 > the hard drive to recognize the floppy...
 > Cathy

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com