From:
Hugh Vandervoort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Aug 2005 03:52:10 -0400
The consensus seems to be that a hardware and software firewall is the
way to go. I have a Linksys router and use Zone Alarm (Free).
I'd check with the provider first. Many broadband suppliers supply a
router that acts as a hardware firewall.
OTOH, routers are cheap and easy to install nowadays (I have three used
routers just gathering dust in my ofice). I imagine you could find a
used one easily.
Google "Broadband security" for more ideas.

Peetie Wheatstraw wrote:

>Re: Viable alternative to a hardware firewall for new DSL?
>
>Greetings,
>
>I am running W2kP sp4 with Kerios, AVG, Spybot, and dial-up
>on a little stand-alone desktop system at home. No home
>network.
>
>I contemplate abandoning the dial-up for SBC 1.5 DSL
>and wish to evaluate additional security/anti-hacker
>measures.
>
>Do I more-or-less *have* to purchase a hardware firewall
>to be secure? If so, what device might do a good job
>and how much might it cost?

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml