From:
Drew Dunn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 16:25:32 -0700
If your motherboard has DMA66 or DMA100 controller built in, the best thing
to do would be to install Linux with the hard drive on the standard
controller.

Once you've done that, download the latest kernel from
http://www.kernel.org.  It's probably up to 2.4.2 now.  Then install and
recompile the kernel with the correct controller selected (depending on
which board you have).  Once you've done that, reconfigure LILO, change the
drive over to the appropriate drive connector, make sure that you tell the
BIOS which controller to boot from, then reboot.

I've pretty heavily simplified this, but hopefully it's enough to get you
going.

My next project will be to write an article on how to do this.  Look for it
this weekend on www.freepctech.com.

Drew Dunn
The NOSPIN Group