Date:
Wed, 25 Dec 2002 16:24:33 +1100
I had this thing happen at work, which we found to be compatibility problem
between certain mobo/BIOS and HDD.  I couldn't remember the reg hack, but
there is one way to try as we had discovered a trick to force DMA mode
enable.  We didn't try it on any other mobo but Aopen, since the problem is
very rare (only happened to us on Aopen and one ASUS socket370 mode mobo,
both are now no longer problem as latest BIOS fixed them).

Flash BIOS to the lastest before try anything else!!!

First, you need to move HDD and your DVD on same chennal, and connected to
IDE2, then check if windows enable HDD DMA, if so, move them back to IDE1
will likely do the trick.  If on IDE2, HDD is still in PIO only mode, then
you need to have a CDROM (or DVD ...) that surely work in DMA mode connected
to IDE1, and in windows, make sure it's DMA enabled; now move HDD back to
IDE1.  This normally works (but once we couldn't get DMA enabled by anyway).

If nothing works, I'd suggest either change the mobo or HDD.  My personal
opinion is, if the mobo has this problem, it is not worth to get it.

Jun Qian