From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jun 1999 13:09:01 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Wertman <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Monday, June 21, 1999 12:41 AM
Subject: [PCBUILD] Burning Smell

>Hello all,
>
>I recently put together a new machine, and right after I started it up it
>fried an older hard drive that I was planning to use until I could get a
>newer one. I noticed a burning smell then, and assumed it was the drive,
>but after I had replaced the drive the smell persisted. After a week I
>don't smell it anymore, but it did have a smell for some time, like burning
>plastic. Should I be concerned about this? So far I have had no other
>problems with the system,  in fact it works remarkably well, and was
>trouble free to set up. Thanks.
>
>Eric Wertman

Several years ago I built a pc for a friend.  The diagram for the power
switch was very confusing, and I hooked it up wrong.  Smoke!  Smell!

I went back to the store where I bought the case and complained.  The
guy at the store said "No harm done."  He told me the correct way to
wire the switch, which I did.  The computer worked well and I sent her
on her way.  (Feeling a little sheepish, since she saw the smoke, too.)

This weekend she came over to have me put a new motherboard in
her computer.  That case still smelled of burnt wire!!!  (And she said
that she has not used the computer for two years.)

So, I guess that smell stays around for a while.

Dean Kukral   [log in to unmask]

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html