From:
Russ Poffenberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Nov 2005 21:19:13 -0800
Actually, flashing an Asus can be simpler than that. I have a P4P800E
deluxe, and it can use the EZ flash method. All you need is a formatted
floppy (NOT bootable, no OS is needed on it). All that needs to be on it is
the .ROM file. What is important though for this method, is to make sure it
is inserted when powering on, and to press <ALT-F2> during POST. The
EZ-flash in the BIOS knows enough to read the floppy and reprogram the BIOS
by itself. The name of the .ROM file on the floppy needs to be exactly
correct however. (usually the model name.ROM, for example, mine would be
P4P800-E.ROM)

I am pretty sure the P4S800DE also supports this.

As the the problem of not being able to see the SATA drive, it could be that
he has it setup to treat the SATA as a RAID drive rather than an IDE drive.
There is a setting in the BIOS called "Configure SATA as RAID", if set to
No, then it should not be necessary to load special drivers. I have no
problem on my Asus as long as the SATA mode is not set as RAID.

Russ Poffenberger

From: "Antonio" <[log in to unmask]>

Hi everybody:

I have an Asus P4S800D-E deluxe motherboard. I try installing window Xp
media center 2005 on it but it told it could not find a hard drive; I have a
SATA 74 GB Western digital HD, I check the cables but they seem fine. When
the system boots it could see the HD but doesn't detect the serial devices,
it says PRIMARY AND SECONDARY SERIALS DEVICES NOT FOUND, BUT ON THE BOOT
SETUP IT SEES THE HD, I went to ASUS found a patch for the BIOS to fix the
SATA HD problem, the manual tell me to download to a floppy and change the
file name to P4S800DE.ROM  to update the bios using the Asus EZ flash
update, so I boot the pc press the keys the manual say Alt + f2, I insert
the floppy in it; it find the floppy drive but it don't find the file, I try
do it again, I reset the system, but I get the same thing, so I erase the
file fro m the floppy and download it again, and make sure the file it has
the correct name before I saved it,but I still get the same problem, there
other two ways to flash the bios but, one of them requires to be in windows
and the other require a floppy; (thank if your'll still reading this, hope
you get it),so I don't know what else to try, I don't want to use an IDE
hard Drive, because I will have to buy it, and the serial drive the I bought
is expensive,and don't have the money for a new board, so my only option is
to flash the bios, the pc sees the floppy drive so I don't think that the
problem; any suggestions? anything I haven't think about, please help me.
Sincerely Thank you
                                                  Antonio Figueroa

                 our special coffee mugs and mouse pads