From:
Russ Poffenberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jan 2006 12:58:42 -0800
Hi Alana,

One thing that caused many users serious grief with Windows XP
(particularly SP2) was that many anti-virus programs were incompatible
because of security changes (firewall and such) that is now built-in to XP.
If you attempted to re-use such an older version, then it could be what is
causing you the problems.

What I would suggest is to boot into safe mode and try to un-install the
anti-virus, hopefully that should solve your rebooting problem. You will
then want to install an updated version that is compatible with XP SP2.

If you cannot get into safe mode, or if that does not solve the problem,
then you may have no choice but to re-install from scratch. It could also
be that your in-place upgrade of 98SE to XP was not as clean as it should
be (this is a somewhat difficult route to take successfully), which may
mean a re-install as well. Note that even though your XP CD is an upgrade
version, you can still install it from scratch, boot from the XP CD, and
during the install process, it will ask for your original 98 disk, which
you can insert to verify upgrade eligibility.

Russ Poffenberger

At 12:18 PM 1/3/2006, you wrote:
>I'm having problems upgrading from Windows 98 SE to XP Pro.  I have a 1.6
>Athalon processor, 256 memory, and over 20 gigs of free space on my hard
>drive.
>  I prepared it on Sunday - organized/deleted emails/favorites, ran Spybot and
>Adaware, emptied the trash, backed up most of my files and defragged it.  I
>have an upgrade version of XP Pro and I opened the box and installed it
>yesterday morning.  Installation went fine, which surprised me because I was
>expecting the worst. It rebooted itself several times during the process and
>all seemed fine.  It came up working, so I went ahead and activated
>it.  Then I
>noticed my antivirus wasn't working (Computer Associates) and I had to
>reboot to
>get it back up.  It would not reboot.  It starts to load and says
>"Checking file
>system of drive c: One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency."  It
>does it's thing and then says "Loading Windows."  Then it says "checking file"
>and it goes right back.  It's caught in some kind of loop

Russ Poffenberger

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>