Date:
Sat, 2 Jun 2001 15:23:37 -0700
  The electrical current that is supposed to flow between the PC and
a serial mouse is small, and even smaller for a PS/2-type mouse.
  So the most likely source of the shock is "static electricity"
which can build up in your body as you walk around.  [It's not
usually a lot, but it's worse when the humidity is low, and it may be
made worse by combinations such as rubber shoe soles on synthetic
carpets.]

  There are various ways you can dissipate any accumulated static
before you touch the mouse.  The three most common:

(1) Touch the case, or another *grounded* part of the PC first.  [BUT
see below....]

(2) Install an "anti-static mat" under your chair.

(3) Install an anti-static wrist strap, attached to a ground, and put
it on before touching the computer.

NOTE:  I had a PC that would sometimes reboot when I touched it,
about 20 years ago.  None of the measures above seemed to help.
  What finally fixed the probem?  It turned out that the PC wasn't
plugged directly into a three-prong electical socket, but reached the
wall via a two-prong extension cord.  Once the third prong was
properly connected to ground, the problem disappeared.

David Gillett
A+, MCSE, CCNA, unemployed

On 2 Jun 2001, at 20:21, Al-Torath Int. Trading Est. wrote:

> Hellow Friends
> I am facing a strange problem. During working often I have to
> leave my seat while  my PC running, when I come back and touch
> mouse suddenly  I feel electric shock and system is also
> automatically rebooted with that shock. I face this problem more
> than one time every day.  I am unable to  understand that  from
> where comes this current to shock me and why/How PC is rebooted at
> same time without touching any part of it ? Is there any solution
> ?
> Thanks in advance
>
> Murtaza Malik

                     visit our download web page at: