From:
Dave Littlehale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Mar 1998 05:30:27 -0500
The saga continues I need advice on how to finish this project.  Trying
to install a 6.4 Western Digital hard drive.  The first hard drive I
bought was defective and it turns out that my BIOS does not support
larger drives.  It only recognized it as being a 2.1 GB drive.

Contacted the motherboard manufacturer, BCM, and the BIOS upgrade would
only support a max of 4.1 GB.

Contacted Micro Firmware and they do not make BIOS for this
manufacturer.

Bought a Promise IDE controller card only to discover that I do not have
an empty ISA slot.

In talking with the WD tech person this morning after we discovered that
the BIOS would not support the drive, we installed EZ Drive.  He said it
wouldn't slow down the system.  I read the responses to my previous
posts about this question, and I am doubting that decision.  In addition
to the possibility of data loss, EZ drive conflicts with parts of Norton
Utilities.  I can uninstall EZ drive, but what should I do?  This has
quickly gotten out of control and I am over my head.

I see my options as:

1) buy a new motherboard.  Any recommendations?  What do I look for?
Never done anything that involved.  I see the mess I've gotten into just
trying to add a 2nd HD.  How difficult is this?  Very apprehensive about
this solution.

2) return 6.4 drive; purchase 4.1; upgrade BIOS.  I got what I thought
was a great price on the 6.4 and 4.1's are not that much less ($50);
seems like a waste of money.

3) go with the EZ Drive.

What are the recommendations?

Thanks