Date:
Sun, 7 Jun 2009 16:03:39 -0400
I used to be able to view a movie or other video DVD on my PC, running
Windows XP SP 2.  That was before the hard drive crashed and I had to
take this computer to the shop for a new one.  For some reason, the CD
drive came back with the assigned letter "D" where it was "E" before,
and I can't open anything other than a data DVD or CD any more.   The
CD/DVD drive will not recognize a blank DVD either, although I can write
a data file to a CD.  Windows Media Player doesn't recognize anything at
all other than a data file in the drive.

I've downloaded three different varieties of DVD software:  Easy DVD 2
from Downloads.com;  CDVD from the same source; and the Free DVD/Video
Player from Cliprex.com.  (That last one triggered a virus alert.)  Is
there anything else I can try, short of simply buying a new computer?  TIA!

Joyce in SE Ohio

PS  I originally submitted this to the PC-SOFT List but Russ suggested I
post it here.