From:
joseph marty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Nov 2005 06:29:55 -0500
You'll have to turn off system restore and run through what you did to get rid of the 25 infections all over again.  With system restore on you get the infections back when you reboot because they have been stored. After that you should uninstall all those AV's and start over.  If that doesn't work, the best thing would be to reformat and do a clean install of the OS.  If you reinstall over the existing installation you might get one of those infections all over again.  They install themselves deep in your registry and in your system files.  They are designed to cripple and disable your AV and other malware apps.  I'll bet you'd like to meet the author of whatever is loose on your computer in a parking lot with a baseball bat.  Never open an attachment without scanning it with your updated AV.  You have illustrated the reason for that warning.

Dianne <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Hi Moderator,
>Ok, this is going to be a long one, I will log what has happened from beginning to end.
>1.I received a WinZip file, I had been expecting one so I opened it, it failed to open twice.  Then things started happeing this was probably a virus.
>2.  I had been running AVG free and it was completely updated daily.
>3.  Then my AVG wouldnt work, I was told it might be corrupted, uninstall and re-install, so I did.
>4.  I got "Installation failed: "error action failed for file avgcc.exe, creating file.... Bad File Descriptor"
>5.  Keep receiving message that "windows explorer has encountered a problem and must shut down" - Wthe Windows Explorer wasnt open at the time.
>5A.  I installed Avast!, hoping to get some interim protection, it installed, but then refused to work, telling me there was an "RPC error".
>6.  On your advice, I downloaded and used: CW Shredder, Trend Micro Anti-Spyware, Ad-Aware (which I use anyway) and SpyBot.
>7.  When I used Anti-Spyware 3.0 (Trend Micro), after the entire scan, I select all and delete the spyware/viruses/trojans, in the middle of the delete process it tells me "Anti-Spyware Main Module has encountered a problem and needes to close".  I tried again and the same message occured at the same  time.
>8.  I then downloaded and used Trend Micro-House Call.  It took 1 hour to go through all the files on the computer and told me it found "25 infections" (my heart turned upside down).
>9. I continued the program and had them all deleted, it showed mainly Troj_Bagel.AB and Java/ByTever.B as the viruses.  Why didnt AVG pick them up in the first place?
>10.  I shut down, rebooted and then attempted a clean install of AVG, only to get the the same point in the installation and be told "Installation Failed, Bad File Descriptor".
>11.  When going to the Security Centre Icon in Control Panel, to make sure the Windows Firewall is working, I get "Windows Firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated service is not running. Do you want to start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service?"  When I say yes, all is well until I reboot the computer, and we start all over again.
>12.  I have been to the MY COMPUTER-MANAGE-SERVICES location, and turned on everything: ICS, RPC, etc.  But when I reboot it goes back to zero.
>Any ideas.
>Dianne

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.