From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Aug 2002 19:55:46 -0700
I have had this happen on a few occasions.

Completely remove the Network. Empty Recycle bin, ...empty the temp
director, use reg clean to clean up the registry. It wouldn't hurt to run
scan disk and defrag. Now reboot ..when Windows 98 sees your adaptor let it
reinstall BUT make sure it overwrites every file. Then set up your network
and see if it works.

Rode
The NOSPIN Group
http://freepctech.com

>So we suspected an OS network configuration problem.  We ran Win98 File
>Checker and did not get an indication of file corruption.  Used add/remove
>programs to reinstall and reconfigure IE to connect through LAN.
>Uninstalled all protocols, powered off, and then reinstalled NetBEUI for MS
>LAN, IPX/SPX for HP Print Server & TCP/IP for internet.  Confirmed that each
>protocol is bound to 3Com NIC.  UserName is unique and Work Group name is
>identical.  We confirmed that station has a good TCP/IP address from DHCP.
>Confirmed Gateway address & DNS addresses from ISP.  WINS is disabled.

>That's it;  we are at a loss.  Has anyone an idea why this computer cannot
>connect to the internet or a suggestion how we might proceed?
>
>Tommy Holmes, Jr.

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml