From:
Tom Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jan 2004 17:20:30 -0800
Of course I agree with my son. In particular, the computer in question that
started this discussion is about one year old and all the components should
be compatible with XP. However, the last computer I built from spare and
used parts for the grand children was reported as being compatible with XP
except the sound card. After installation the computer kept hanging up due
to a video card that Microsoft said was compatible and only needed an
updated driver. The video manufacturer no longer supported the card and
there was no newer driver. They did not have kind words for Microsoft. I
bought a used video card for a few dollars that is more powerful and works
with XP. The sound card did not work and I bought a used sound card.

I really liked Win98 but XP is far more stable. With 98 the computer would
have to be restarted after freezing up with certain programs several times a
day. With XP the computer has never frozen although programs have frozen and
needed to be restarted. Fortunately, XP runs each program in an assigned
block of memory and only the programs might fail but not the OS (normally).
This does mean that the more memory the better with XP. I went from 384MB to
1GB when I upgraded the OS.

Rarely have I had an older program not run with XP as long as the
compatibility set correctly. But, I took the opportunity to upgrade a number
of the programs I use the most. They run better and have better graphics and
added features.

I now have three computers running XP without any problems at all.

Tom Mayer