From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jun 1998 08:09:26 -0400
At 23:04 29-06-98 -0400, Joe wrote:
>ZDNet has a software program, Waste for Windows95...Try it...
http://hotfiles.zdnet.com/cgi-bin/texis/swlib/hotfiles/info.html?fcode=000EAR
[In case link gets broken into two lines, paste them together.
The file is called Wast32.zip]

Jim wrote:
>There is no way to quantify how much space is wasted and have
>it apply to ANYthing other than that one single pc which is
>being measured.
>Seven thousand list members can write in a say "I just checked
>my PC and found...." and there will be seven thousand completely
>different answers.
>As I said in my previous post, the TOTAL amount of wasted space
>on a particular PC is determined the number of files AND their
>size as compared to the cluster size.

At Joe's suggestion, I ran Waste. It scanned all the files on
all my drives and told me that my slack is 491 MB with 16 KB
clusters and would be 107 MB if I used 4 KB clusters.. Other
than the fact that I rounded them off to the nearest MB, these
are real figures, not estimates.

Not too far from the 480 MB and 120 MB I estimated by
assuming 60,000 files and slack equal to half a cluster
per file. (I remembered approx. 60,000 files from doing
a Norton Anti-virus scan of all my files last week.)

Regards,
Bill