From:
"Ian C>" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Sep 2003 22:37:37 -0400
Bob,  I 'd already removed & recreated partitions w/ p'magic (ver 8)
leaving 12MB blank , and was unable to successfully re-install OS.  Also
tried HP's HD utility, which reported no errors.  Was unable to get
ahold of HP's recovery disc, so it looks like "low-level" format is in
order.

Tony Mayer, the /mbr switch was one of the first things I tried, to no
avail.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Ian Carmichael

> At 11:57 PM 8/31/2003, Ian Carmichael wrote:
>
>> Hello all.  I have an HP laptop here that although had only Win98
>> installed,  also had an unknown boot manager (based upon info supplied
>> by owner).  Partition type reads as UNKNOWN .........
>

> Bob Wright wrote:
> Since you have Partition Magic, the first thing to do is remove all
> partitions
> so the drive is totally empty.  Now, using Partition Magic, create a
> primary
> partition, Fat32 that is 98% of the available drive.......
>
> If you cannot accomplish this with Partition Magic,......
> Go to the manufacturer's web site and find their low-level format
> utility....

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml