From:
Doc Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 1999 13:55:45 -0400
Thanks to Max for the explanation.  Strange that this is not in any sales
literature for IBM. Since I have always used IBM for laptops and CRT
monitors for desktops, I really thought that other manufacturers would do
the same as IBM in LCD displays.  This "feature" then would apply to the
new flat screen monitors that are starting to get popular.  Wonder if the
flat screen purchasers are aware of this?  This could affect the viewing
size of some games that change the resolution.

Doug Simmons
====================
At 8/10/99 02:14 PM , Max Timchenko wrote:

LM> Posted on behalf of  Doug Simmons  <[log in to unmask]>  by List Moderator

LM> I just purchased a Toshiba Satellite 2595 laptop for my daughter. It has
LM> among other things a 14.1 inch Active LCD display and a Trident 2 Meg
LM> display adapter. It has Windows 98 loaded.
LM> The problem: It came with the display set to 1024 x 768 display and High
LM> Color(16 bit).
LM> The display reduced to 800 x 600 by making a black border around a small
LM> display in the middle. I have not found anyway to make it stretch out to
LM> fill the entire 14.1 screen with larger icons like my ThinkPad does.

This is the way LCD screens work - their scale function will work good
only for exact multipliers : 1024x768 -> 512x384 for example. This is
because LCD's have one light source per pixel while CRT screens have a
lot of them per one screen pixel and can be resized smoothly.

One of my friends got a Toshiba. His Windows' startup screen (320x400)
is resized to 640x400 and inserted into 800x600 (his max size) display
in the way you described.

You can set Large Icons option (64x64 pixels, 32x32 is "normal" size)
however.

The Thinkpad probably applies some sort of smooth resizing method
(more expensive video?) to fill the screen - basic resolution will
always stay the same.

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org