From:
Michelle Thuma <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2000 16:56:36 -0500
Ok, here is a really strange one for you..

We have about 1000+ PCs in our environment, logging into our Novell
network. Lately, I have been seeing random PCs whose login boxes one day
just show up with no text boxes. In other words, the novell login prompt
comes up- with no place to log in, just a completely blank box. Now here is
the really painful part- an uninstall/reinstall of the client doesn't fix
the problem. Neither does a whole host of other things I have already tried.
So far, the only solution I have been able to come up with is to reinstall
windows (ouch). I haven't been able to narrow it down much regarding OS or
client version. It happens on Win95 and Win98 (not WinNT so far), and we use
the novell netware client for all PCs. It doesn't seem version specific, as
I have seen it on ver 2.2, 3.01, and 3.1 sp1 (our newest client to date).
Other text boxes on those machines seem fine (like the windows login, for
instance), and if you cancel past the login box, everything seems ok (except
for, of course, no network access). It also appears to happen on a
completely random basis.

So far, I haven't seen anything about this problem on Novell's or
Microsoft's tech site. Has anyone seen this and/or found a solution to it?
It must be a corrupt file somewhere that I just don't know about..

TIA,

Michelle Thuma
ITS

                     visit our download web page at: