From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Nov 1998 10:08:13 -0500
Victor, I suspect memory. I had a system that did the exact same thing and
disabling L2 external cache stopped all the problems.  My friend's computer
required the same fix after he upped the memory to 96 meg on a TX chipset,
which only caches up to 64 meg.  My cache turned out to be defective chips.
If your memory and cache combination is supported, you have determined
through disabling cache (and the problems persist) that the cache isn't to
blame, start swapping memory until you find parts that work.  You don't say
how you found bad clusters, but if it was scandisk, I would go so far as to
suggest the Quantum disk was fine, the real problem, whatever it is, was trashing
the disk.  My WD disk was getting trashed as well, but when I moved it to
a working PC and scanned it, all the bad clusters were recovered.
Tom Turak

----------
Monday, November 23, 1998 5:17 AM victor patman wrote:

> >              Hello All
> > I have a computer I'm building and its been a nightmare over the last three
> >weeks. Plenty of sleepless nights. I've finally arrived at the final step, loading the
> >operating system. I have Windows95 and 98, both are full versions not upgrades.
> >neither of them will install on this computer. The two most common
> >error messages I always see are SUWIN and KRNL386. Then I
> >found some bad clusters on the HDD (Quantum Fireball 2.1gig.). So I
> >bought a new one (WD Caviar 1.08gig).
> >bad for an El Cheepo system. Here are the specs on the MoBo:
> >MoBo is a noname
> >Cyrix M2 233mhz
> >AMI  CL98939 burnin-24hr BIOS
> >SIS 5595 chipsets