From:
Peter Shkabara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jul 2005 20:24:05 -0700
I just discovered how fragile the top surface of a CDR disc is. I put an
Avery type address label on one and tried burning some data. The burn failed
and 40x, so I lowered the burn speed and tried for a new disc. Instead of
printing another label, I tried to pull off the label from the first disk.
SURPRISE! The silvered coating came off with the label.

This experience makes me feel a lot less secure about all the backups I am
placing onto CDRs. I can now visualize the ink from a felt tip marker
seeping through the porous silvering and making the disc unreadable. I have
not had this happen yet, but I am starting to worry.

Any thoughts on input as to what works and what does not? What are your
experiences with labeling a disc? Without a label of some sort, the disk is
difficult to identify!

Thank you.

Peter

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,