From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 19:55:13 -0000
--

On Wed, 17 Mar 1999 09:40:10   Jim Meagher wrote:
>Bob,
>
>I heartily agree with Dennis.  I have seen acceptable performance with
>non-MMX 166 CPUs, so your PPro200 should have no problems.
>
>As I have said in the past, you (anyone) can prove to yourself the "fact"
>or fable behind the infamous "CPU hit" problem of winmodems......
>
>Install the modem, connect to the net, then load the SYSTEM MONITOR (in
>your accessories/system tools folder) and look at the CPU usage chart.
>As a comparison, check the CPU usage with your current modem first.

     Although performance is always of top concern, with winmodems there is another big concern, at least for me, drivers. Winmodems use very low hardware drivers that have to have access to the whole machine at times. The problem is if you use a winmodem you are at the mercy of the driver manufacturer as far as stability goes. I agree, winmodems do not pose much, if any, performance hit, but if my machine crashes more often than it does now what good is it? Over the years drivers HAVE gotten to the point where even I trust them, as long as it is from a good company, I would be wary of a company I've never heard of. Just my opinion. TTYL

-----== Sent via Deja News, The Discussion Network ==-----
http://www.dejanews.com/  Easy access to 50,000+ discussion forums

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html