From:
Frank Suszka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Oct 2000 17:12:51 -0700
Jim Barber wrote:
clean install of win98, after the files are copied to the hard drive and
windows tries to start for the first time I get the following error
message...

> Insufficient memory to initialize Windows. Quit one or more memory resident programs or remove unnecesary utilities in config.sys and autoexec.bat and restart your computer.

You may want to try this little fix or "Work Around" that Microsoft
recommends in their Knowledge base which is covered in article Q184447
which states,

  If your computer has 1 gigabyte (GB) or more of random-access
  memory (RAM) installed, Windows may not start. Also, when you
  try to start your computer, you may receive the following error
  message:

      Insufficient memory to initialize Windows.

      Quit one or more memory-resident programs or
      remove unnecessary utilities from your
      CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT files, and restart
      your computer.

  This behavior may also occur during Windows Setup, or when you
  try to start Windows for the first time.

  RESOLUTION

  To work around this issue, add the following line to the [386enh]
  section of the System.ini file:

     MaxPhysPage=30000

  This limits the amount of physical RAM that Windows can access
  to 768 MB. To do so, use the following steps:

    1.Use any text editor (such as Notepad) to edit the System.ini
      file.

    2.Add the following line in the [386Enh] section of the file

            MaxPhysPage=30000

    3.Save the file, and then restart your computer.

Sincerely,

Frank Suszka
netTek Computers

      special "Free-After-Rebate" Software specials in conjunction
          with Beyond.com.   We have new offers all the time!!!
                      http://nospin.com/promotions