From:
Brad Loomis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 May 2002 07:07:21 -0700
From:    Peter Shkabara <[log in to unmask]>
Does the controller recognize the drives during POST? If so, then you
may need to use FDISK to "adjust" the active partition. Did you check
the jumper settings on the drives to have one as master and the other as
slave? Consider trying the second IDE channel for the other drive.

Hi Peter and others,
After much messing I finally was able to get access to the two drives and
move the required data onto another in another machine via network.
I would like to put these two 40GB drives into my main machine but I am
somewhat confused and concerned about playing hell after my last experience.
Here is what I have and what I want to do. I currently run all SCSI, 3 UW
hard drives, CD, CDRW. I boot from SCSI. In years past I recall that if I
add a IDE drive to this it wants to become the boot device no matter what
the BIOS says. How can I as you said, "adjust" the active partition using
NTFS on XP and or 2K when FDISK is unworkable in DOS? By adjust I assume and
hope you mean make it "not active". Also, What performs better, one drive on
each channel or two set as master and slave?

Thanks,
Brad Loomis
Morro Bay, CA

                         PCBUILD's List Owners: