From:
Jun Qian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jun 1999 00:40:45 +1000
I don't believe this is a good idea. Say, if you want to do a installation of
NT, the cd-rom connected to sound card is very likely unable to use during
the NT setup, the same problem apply to win98/95 setup. Unless you load up
dos driver for your sound card and then use dos driver for cd-rom. but you
can only do this to a formatted harddisk, how can you do it on a
unpartitioned new harddisk? using dos driver for 32bit system doesn't do any
good, I prefer using pure NTFS for NT, FAT32 for win95/98, 32bit driver as
possible and fresh installation for operation system.

When I deal with old computers (cd-rom to sound card only), I always use a
normal IDE CD-ROM to do the setup, after the operating system is installed
and find the "sound card cd-rom", then I can remove the IDE cd-rom. the only
problem to do so:
require a bit more time to setup OS (have to adjust in cmos before and after
setup, also including the time to open case/close case, remove drive ect.) if
the total number of IDE drives is reached 5, then have to take an IDE device
out during the setup, after remove the IDE cd-rom, put the device back.
adjust in coms ... etc.

**Just some personal opinion. **

Sorry for this long post.

J Qian

Timchenko Maxim wrote:

> Unless you hook the CD-ROM to your sound card.

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>