From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 2003 22:16:15 -0500
At 04:18 03/03/03, Paul Ryan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Has anyone had any luck with f8 after installing Linux?
>I have LILO and can't get into the boot options. I have
>tried hitting f8 immediately after chosing Win 98 and
>windows just boots ignoring me.

Hi Paul

I seem to remember that it wasn't F8 for Win98. Maybe
it was F5? I haven't used Win98 for some time.

But why not do the following?

While Win98 is running, open C:\MSDOS.SYS with Notepad.
(Despite the SYS extension, the file is a text file.)

Go to the bottom of the text and change the appropriate
lines to read something like

BootMenu=1
BootMenuDelay=5
BootMenuDefault=2

You probably have the line "BootMenu=0", which means that
the menu will not appear automatically. (Think of 1 as
meaning "yes" and 0 as meaning "no".) The lines
"BootMenuDelay=5" and "BootMenuDefault=2" mean that after
5 seconds, item 2 in the menu will be picked automatically.
Choose different integers than 5 and 2 if you want. If any
of these lines are not present, put them there...without
the quotes of course. And be darn sure that you don't have
the same line present twice...with different numbers.

To get changes to MSDOS.SYS to "stick", you'll probably
have to adjust its file attributes. Right click on
MSDOS.SYS and choose "Properties" from the drop down
menu. Remove the check mark from "read only" and click
"Apply". Restore the file to "read only" after you're
satisfied with how things work.

The convenience of always seeing the menu seems worth an
extra 5 seconds while Win98 boots.

Regards,
Bill

                     visit our download web page at: